Information and Advice Needed

Hello Ridecamp!

My name is Alisa Waxman, I live in the Chicago area, and I've been lurking
on this forum (getting the daily Ridecamp digests) since I attended
January's AERC convention.  I really appreciate and respect the knowledge
that is being shared.  I also enjoy the humor and the camaraderie that is
shared by everyone.  I feel like I know many of you!  I'd like to ask for
your thoughts/advice.

I have an 8 year old beautiful bay purebred Arab mare that I love (and have
spoiled, as she is my first horse).  I have been riding her since she was
broke at five.  She is very sweet and gentle ordinarily, but does have
another side to her.  She is very easily excitable/upset when she is away
from home (and the herd), and does not eat well on rides (she pouts!).
[Actually, she knows I want her to eat and she thinks she can punish me for
upsetting her routine by not doing what I want! :-)]

She does not enjoy being trailered, and will often not eat her grain (or
apples or carrots for that matter) nor will she drink well after we
arrive/the afternoon or evening before the ride.  She will, however, very
slowly munch on some hay overnight (but not consume enough for my liking).
During the ride, she gets excited/upset and will not usually eat or drink
until late in the race (about 35-40 miles for food, and somewhat earlier
for water).  I give her probiotics and electrolytes in applesauce during
the race to keep the gut moving.  She actually does quite well, despite
this behavior.  By an hour to an hour and a half after the race, she is
eating like a pig.

Given her fitness and ability, my friend encouraged me to put her in a
hundred, as this would cure her eating difficulties.  She did her first
hundred mile ride in Michigan in June (placed second and BC! -- I was so
proud).  Early on in the race, we had the same issues on eating ("I'm not
going to eat Mom, no matter how hard you plead/ask/beg").  However, after
going back out after 50 miles, she decided to eat and we stopped
periodically on the trail to let her eat/drink.  She finished well, moving
fluidly and very lively at her trot out.

I thought OK she's cured.  But no, no such luck; the next ride (a 50) she
was back to pouting and not eating again.

Does anyone have any advice on this topic (temperamental horses/poor
eaters)?  I keep thinking my mare will get used to traveling or will grow
out of this "pouting" behavior.  But, she raced (competitive and endurance)
in 1996 and a few endurance rides in late 1997, and its not getting much
better.  Please post any thoughts privately, so as not to clutter up
ridecamp with a less than universal topic.

I would also like to ask for some private posts on the topic of carbo
supplemental energy during the early part of the race might sustain her
better until she starts eating of her own accord.  I looked at the
archives, but the posts I read were not all that specific on type used,
where to find it, amount used, and frequency of dosage.  I realize that I
will need to determine exact amounts/use based on my mare and her reactions
to it, but I would like any and all advice you can give.

I look forward to hearing from all of you.

Alisa Waxman
and AKB Pyewacket
(Since everyone asks, Pye is named after the cat in the old movie, Bell,
Book and Candle.  {I didn't name her!})