Re: Tevis Ride Story

In a message dated 98-08-10 15:13:28 EDT, karen@chaton.gardnerville.nv.us
writes:

<< Prior to trotting out the vet asked me 'is there anything we need to know
 about this horse', and I told him that yes, he paddles slightly with his
 left front.  I was asked to re-trot him, then to trot him in circles with
 the head vet watching.  Dr. Benson said he was okay to start, and the other
 vet wrote down a B- on my vet card.  >>

As a ride vet, I see a lot of horses that have less than desirable
conformation or ways of going.  When are ride vets going to learn that we are
not horse show judges here?  The grading is supposed to be for SOUNDNESS, not
for whether the horse is perfectly put together and moves completely straight.
I have seen countless horses with conformation or movement that I do not find
desirable go thousands of miles without a bobble--and as long as they stay
sound, they get A's for movement from me!

Heidi Smith, DVM