Re: A dark day for Arabians

Hi Anna,

My kids are in Pony Club, as well as taking a beginning interest in endurance
(my son just finished his first 25).  I find, and always have found, the same
kind of predjudice against the Arabian in the sport horse world.  It's quite a
shame.  I, too, have had other breeds; MANY other breeds, but my healthiest,
strongest, most versatile and longest lived has always been the Arabian.  When
asked by Pony Club folks what kind of horses we have I proudly respond,
"Arabians", as if I have no idea they are looked down upon by the general
sport horse world.  I usually get an "oh" in a really sympathetic voice; or,
if someone is particularly bold, I can see them visually turn their nose up.
Ignorance is alive and well.  All we Arabian affectionados can do is to
continue to campaign our athletes in other endeavours outside of the show ring
where their fine qualities cannot be denied and will finally be appreciated!

Susan Swope

   In a message dated 8/9/98 8:17:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time, awolfe@etsc.net