How to know when to try a 50?

Hello fellow ridecampers!!!

Hope you are all having a great summer.

We (Tiki and I) have successfully completed our first 2 - 25 milers
within the last month.
The first was (Ride over the Rainbow in Merritt, BC) quite a difficult
ride terrain-wise.  The footing was quite slippery (it rained buckets
the night before) and the pull rate was around 50%.  We were 15th out of
23 who completed the 25 m.  I didn't want to push her any faster, and
her recoveries and attitude were great.  Vetted great, mostly A's and a
few B's, all A's on the Post vet check.  Vet check and half hour hold
were in camp, so it was quite funny to see her expression when i tacked
her up for the second loop. <G>  Tiki ate well, drank well, and I had
lots of horse left at the end.  I was very pleased with her for her very
first ride.

Second Ride, Swaneset Endurance Ride (Maple Ridge, BC).  Not sure of my
placing but think it was probably similar to first ride.  This ride was
VERY hot.  The first 5-6 miles and the last 5-6 miles were on roads and
dykes with no shade and no water.  The temp was around 32 deg. Celcius
which isn't exactly what we're used to here!!!  The rest of the ride in
between was logging roads thru forest so there was some shade.  The heat
and humidity were the biggest things to worry about on this ride.  Tiki
and I took it easy and were actually helping another lady i know who
wanted to do her first ride and the friend who was supposed to buddy up
with her chickened out at the last minute!!!  We finished in about 5.5
hours plus hold time (1/2 hour) and we both felt pleased to finish in
the heat with our horses still healthy.  I think the horses were doing
better than us humans.  The lady i was with just about fainted at the
finish line, she had to lay down on the ground for about 5 minutes.
Yikes.

So that is our background.  I think the main reason we were successful
on our first two LD rides is because of all the things i have learned on
Ridecamp.  Thanks everybody!!!

My horse is no arab.  Tiki is 18 and an appy.  She has a lot of heart
and she loves to go, but she will never be as fast as many of the horses
racing to win.  There is a really nice ride in September and I am
thinking of going, but i am undecided whether we are ready to try a
really slow 50 or if I should just stay with the LD for now.

What do y'all think???? I am looking forward to your suggestions.

Happy trails,

Sarah McIntosh & Tiki
Abbotsford, BC
Canada