faster walk

Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 15:45:23 -0400
From: flemmerl@rcbhsc.wvu.edu (Flemmer, Linda)
To: L Eisele <nevadaghostridr@webtv.net>, ridecamp@endurance.net
Subject: Re: faster walk
I'm sure there are many ways to achieve the objective of a faster walk,
but I was taught in dressage to use the right leg just before the horse's
right hind leg reaches forward; that way you encourage a bigger reach
from the engine, which is where the stride length originates. You can
tell when this happens, as it is just after the opposite front foot puts
down, also a visual cue. I find it is easier to just use your leg as the
horse's barrel swings underneath; whichever side is swinging under that's
the leg you press with, and just keep alternating legs; takes a lot of
nagging, but it works, and you don't have to keep looking down, which
could give the horse a slowing signal. If the horse ignores the leg cue,
tap with a long whip right behind your leg  and just after you use your
leg (only problem is, you sort of need a whip in each hand :-)  after a
while, this won't be needed. Praise him every time he make a little
longer stride so he knows when he's getting it right.  Hope this isn't
too confusing...

Patty

L Eisele wrote:

> Linda. darn, all this time I have been squeezing with the opposite
> leg...right front left leg to encourage an extended walk.  Does it
> matter, which is correct?

Actually, you are cueing for a deper reach with the hind leg that way.
It
isn't wrong, just different.  For somebody not used to doing it, this cue
can
be a little harder as you have to "feel the rhythm"  (NOT a bad dance
movie
quote!) to time the cue.  When cueing on, say, the right front leg with
the
rider's right leg, you have a visual cue by looking at the shoulder as
well as
the "feel".  It's all in the timing :-)

Linda Flemmer

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]