wind puffs

Hi! I wonder if anyone has any advice about wind puffs. My horse gets them
at the beginning of the season every year. They are above his fetlocks and
always puffier on the rear. They stay all season but never get worse than
what they were in the spring. I use SMBoots on the front, and the new Sport
Prescription, Inc. boots on the rear which wrap from both sides of the
fetlock and hopefully, give some support and shock absorption. My vet says
not to worry about them unless he shows lameness in the rear but I'd like
to increase his distance without worry. (We are newbies and only do 15-20
miles.) He is a 16 hand quarter horse, built big in the chest and medium
build in the rear. His front hoofs are only a size 1 and his rears an
0-small for his body size. I hose him down after every ride and massage the
area frequently. He has free turnout and is never restricted in a stall so
moves about constantly.

Whatever help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated!

Pam and Bandit