2 subs Feeding beet pulp and trotting faster

I love the stuff - well soaked.  Made the mistake of feeding ONE HANDFULL of
dry pellets and watching the horse eat it.  Then I watched him choke on it and
I have the $200 vet bill to prove that this is NOT a good idea.  Not to
mention scaring the living daylights out of me.

My training question (having now pulled from two rides for various reasons
that started with getting lost and ended with hooves stuck in the rocks, but
all somewhat beside the point) is having taught my horse a nice quiet road
trot as a baby, how do I teach that really extended trot, so when we do lose
time, we can make it up and when we don't lose time, we could actually be
competitive?  I should mention that we don't have other endurance riders to
train with - we already trot faster than anyone else around here.  What do you
do to speed things up?

Alison Farrin