Re: drug policy

On Thu, 30 Jul 1998 13:35:50 -0500, "Becky Huffman" <hhcc1@htcomp.net>
wrote:

>>IMHO the zero level with the flexibility for enforcement is the only way
>>to go.  Anything else can have the potential of chaos and could result in a
>>serious public relations problem - people allowed to drug horses and then
>>running them a 100 miles.

>I think this demands a "MeTo"

Yes.  Our current drug policy is the result of many years of hard work
by the Vet Committee and the Board.  There is just no way to set
"acceptable" levels of drugs -- there are too many drugs, too many
combinations, just too many damn variables.  Unless we want to throw
up our hands and not have a no-drug policy (ACK!) the current system
of "zero tolerance," with the Vet Committee and Protest Committee
having the discretion to judge each case on its merits, is the best we
can do.

When I'm explaining Endurance Riding to someone not familiar with it
-- or someone who's heard bad things about it -- one of the main
points I make is the good care we take of our horses, our "no drug"
policy included.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net