Help on beet pulp needed

I have been reading about beet pulp and have decided to try it as an additive
to help with weight gain on my new mare.  I have been unable to find any
"instructions" or recommendations on amount to use.

I purchased a bag today.  I had to special order it at the feed store as it
isn't used much in this area.  So, I know no one who has used it.

What I got is not pelletized which is not what I was expecting even though I
had no idea really what to expect it to look like.  I am experimenting as I
type to see if it expands and how much before I feed it.

HELP!  I will not feed it until I have some idea of portion size to feed.  Of
course, I would start out with very little and gradually work up, but I want
to know what it is doing as it goes through the stomach, colon, and
intestines.  I want no pulp induced colic, etc, etc, etc.

Also, on the bag the it stated the fat content was no greater than .3.  I
would have expected more than that.  Am I wrong?

Any pulp experts out there that can help me out?

Ellen
Memphis