bear encounter (LONG)

I happen to love bears.  My fascination for their power and strength was
reinforced during my brief internship at Glacier Bay, Alaska, where I
assisted the bear researchers during my geography and resource
management studies in 1989.  I continue to read all I can on bear
behavior and studies of bear attacks, to watch every nature show filmed,
and hunt them with my camera lens whenever the chance presents itself.
So, it was only natural that I wondered how would my morab, Mystery,
react if we ever crossed a bear on the trail.  I was given the gift of
finding out this weekend!

Setting, Cuneo Creek in Humbolt State Park, Northern Ca.   We were
enjoying a long weekend of horseback riding and camping in this superb
horsecamp.   Safe corrals, showers, flushing toilets, spectacular trails
and great company ensured us of a relaxing and fun time.  Some
ridecampers were there, Linda Romander, Karen Sullivan, Suzanne Mounts
and Katja Halfmeyer (last hooray before her departure home to Germany),
and some non-endurance people as well.

It was hot so Sat. I headed along the stream to the Big Trees area of
the park with 7 other riders.  The redwoods were magnificent and cooled
the forest floor.  Mystery was happy to lead this pack as they were all
non-endurance riders and we had some young horses with us, so no one
wanted to trot (except us...what a change!).   The “Morgan” ladies had
seen a bear from a distance the day before.  Blackberries abounded and
bear scat was along the trails.  After lunch, I decided to head back to
camp alone so we could trot a little and then rest up for another ride
up the ridge when the temps dropped.  We took off at a nice, steady clip
through the forests along the winding single track trail, Mystery’s ears
perked forward, enjoying the new trail and coolness of the trees.

And then I saw him.  A black shape in the middle of the trail with the
unmistakable teddy ears sticking up staring at us.  I slowed Mystery to
a walk as he hadn’t seen the bear yet.  Mr. Bear spun around quickly,
making a fast retreat, and Mystery did the same!  It was a half spin and
I hold him in my strongest voice “ho, I mean HO! Now pony! HO!”  No way
was I gonna fall off in front of a bear!  He listened, good boy, and I
turned him around to face the direction we need to go.  No bear.  whew.
So, we start walking and I start singing my bear song.  “hey ya
theeerrre......mr. bear.....have no feaaaarr....we are here.... so
beware.....get outta herrrreeeee...mr. beaarrrr”  BTW, I made this up,
and it is suppose to give ME confidence, ha!

Well, I guess he liked my signing (or wanted me to shut up please!),
because there he was in the middle of the trail again and popped up to
see the one and only signing horse on the west coast!  Well, Mystery was
listening, and didn’t spin, and faced his source of fear like I’ve
always taught him, but he backed up sooo fast that before I could blink
I’m hanging on to the top of his neck!  whoa pony!!! stop! ugh!!.  I
decided a dismount now would be in order.    So I dismounted and
attached his reins to his halter, and advanced up the trail.

Well, this bear was not big.  He was a youngster all right, and he was
scooping out someone’s camp site down below the trail.  I saw no food
out, nor any bear damage, so figured he hadn’t actually gotten any food
yet, and being a youngster should really be chased away.  Mystery was
watching me as a clue to weather he should be afraid or not, so I didn’t
want to show any fear.  The bear retreated to the side of the slope and
then turned around to watch us.  I started yelling at the bear and he
thought that was quite entertaining, and decided to sit down and watch
this crazy person yell.  So then I remembered some bear language I had
heard, and had used successfully to chase away a treed cub so it would
rejoin its mother.  I started shaking my head back and forth and
snapping my jaws. (Never do this with a big bear, NEVER)!.

Well, that bear never saw a human speak its language before, especially
an aggressive language, and every hair on its back and neck just stood
up!  All of the sudden, my little bear became a pretty good sized bear,
and he was not turning tail and running away like a good bear should!!
Oh man, what did I get myself into now!  The good thing was Mystery
thought this was just so much fun and wasn’t afraid at all.  In fact, he
was acting like it would be nice to sniff noses with this new creature
and say hello!  I figured this was enough bear talk for me, thank you!!!

So we said our good-byes and headed down the trail, slowly and making
lots of human noises, until I could find a safe place to remount.  It
was quite a thrill and I’m curious on how he might react to the next
bear we come across.  I don’t think I’ll try anymore bear language in
the lower 48, they are too use to humans and raiding camps.  But it was
a treat I won’t soon forget.

Remember, Bigger is Better in the bear world...never run....DON’T wear
bells, and don’t leave food or deodorant or anything at all that smells
in your tent!

Happy riding!
Kimberly (&Mystery the Morab.......”what is that thing doing spying on
us in the woods?”
Pt.Reyes, “CA