Re: Selenium

Not too much changes in Classy's conditioning. He works alot of hills,
rocky ground, pretty consistant. 2-4 days per week (5-10 mile
average.) Before a ride we give a few days off. At the Oregon 100 it
was about 15 degrees that morning and we may have not warmed up and
stretched enough. The second time, he went on a short ride, cold and
windy, so we assumed it was the cold that played the major role in his
tying up. This last time however, it was hot, end of the day, (I
usually feed some grass hay hour before I ride, this time I did not)
we had a nice 3/4 mile walk, trot, hills warm-up and then into an easy
canter for about a 1/2 mile. Then walked for about 1/2 mile. Noticed
at this time that his face was extremely lathered, so we walked out
some more. Then into a very controlled and easy canter for about 1
mile(it was such a perfect ride!) Eased into a trot and then a walk,
felt off, got down to check for a stone, etc and noticed his left rear
quivering. Stood stock still for over an hour. Pee'd, it was a little
dark, not bad, last squirt very dark. Walked 500 yrds. stopped for 1/2
hour and then finally walked home. Waited til he was ready) Gave IM
banamine/ace and electrolyte paste, he's now feeling much better -
this was about a week ago. I think we will test him and see what is
going on. Should I have my gelding tested also? He's never had a
problem. We will from now on carry banamine & electrolyte paste in the
cantle bag, "just in case."

Heidi & "Donte"