Re: Selenium

From: Heidi
Email: ribbitttreefrog@yahoo.com

My boyfriend and I own 2 arab geldings, same age, similar bloodlines, same diet, supplement, riding regimine, etc. My horse has never tied up (knock on wood) but Classy tied up for the 3rd time in 1 1/2 years the other day. The first time was at the Oregon 100 last fall. (perhaps you smelled our camp - DMSO - hope we were didn't make you all gag too much!!) My question is this:

How much of the tying up problem is attributed to Selenium? It was freezing cold in Brothers  (no rump rug) but our last incident ocurred in 80 degree+ weather. Did the first incident reduce Classy's levels to where he couldn't build them back up?  (Stress?) He has always been on a grass/alfalfa mix, Dynamite supplement, rolled oats (couple of pints a day) plenty of fresh water. He is a heavily muscled boy of 13 years, builds muscles just by standing around it seems and when we ride, he would literally run himself to death, he is such a goer!! (my horse on the other hand is slightly lazy, likes to go, but doesn't want to overexert himself - slower metabolism?) Could all these things add to Classy's problem and will extra supplementation of selenium be the answer, or should there be more? He has tied up hard twice and once got real stiff, crampy but no dark pee. My boyfriend and I are in a slight disagreement. I think Selenium, electolytes, Classy's  metabolism, muscle mass, prior stress (1 year ago slid down a snow covered hill @ Mt. St. Helen's, went over 10' waterfall, exhausted himself & had to stay overnight till he could have a trail cut for him to get out) all contributed to his being a chronic tier-upper. Sorry this is so long, but he's a good guy (the horse!) and deserves the best. I think we should go ahead and supplement Se. for 3 mos. and then test to see where the levels fall. Then adjust the Se. accordingly. Also give plenty of electolytes prior to and after a ride in the heat, as well as try to get him to take a little salt. What do you think? Any other suggestions?

Heidi & Mighte el Donte