stirrups & white spots

Checked archives...  didn't find the answer I was looking for.

Opinions wanted on Plastic Flex Ride, EasyCare and Cloud Stirrups.	A friend
said the plastic ones are too light in case of an emergency and you need to
kick out of them.  The Clouds are the most expensive.

My horse has a couple of small white spots - right down the center on the
spine.  The saddle doesn't even come near to contacting his back there because
of the gullet (sp).  Anyone have any ideas what these may be from?  I am
guessing it might be bug bites of some sort - as the other day I noticed that
they were a little raised.  His skin crawled/shivered when I palpated them
lightly.  These spots seem to have showed up gradually.  Could it be an
allergy to something?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Melody