Public Trail Development on Private Lands?

I could use some help here folks.  I know amongst the Ridecampers there are
many of you who are involved in trails issues.
  I was approached by a member of our local board of supervisors to consult
with him regarding the possibilities of making a public horse trail(s) in
our county that would cross private lands.  He was thinking that maybe
landowners would be willing to give the county a right of way for the trail
(positive thinker!).  My experience in trails development is limited to
public lands so I'm unsure of where to start and what concepts might appeal
to the landowners.  I would appreciate hearing from any of you that have
experience with this type of trails development.  We will also be looking at
working out trail access issues with the large acerage subdivisions that
keep popping up around us.  We would like to be able to get involved in the
early stages and have a right of way declared either across existing trails
or to have developers leave us an alternate path, perhaps around the
property or across the back or front boundary.
There are already many existing trails in the county that riders have
independently gained access to by making arrangements with the landowners.
If were to pursue this idea we would likely try to start with contacting the
same landowners and asking for expanded use.

Any advice will be appreciated.  Since this topic is only marginally
endurance related, please reply privately.

Sally Aungier
aungish@unos.org
Virginia Horse Council Trails Committee &
RC&D Trails Development and Marketing Committee