Michigan Shore to Shore Trail (long)

Hi Dee,

The riding trails across the state are open to the general public and
you may ride them anytime you choose but there are a couple of groups do
formal rides across the state.  There is a trail which runs from Lake
Michigan to Lake Huron (about 230-240 miles long).  There is a second
trail which runs generally north and south from Cadillac to Stoney Creek
(near the Mackinac Bridge) which is about the same length.  Both trails
have primitive camps along them about every 20-35 miles (we like them
about 25 miles apart but locations don't always work out to that).
Campgrounds have water for people and horses (hand pump at most of them
unless you have a powerful generator and permission to use the well
pump--most only get that luxery with a formal ride).  They also have
outhouses.  We picket our horses on high picketlines at our campsites.
Unless there is a fireban on, you can have a campfire at your campsite.
There is some road riding mostly on dirt roads when you go camp to camp
but most trails are single track or double track--no motorized vehicles
allowed.  Most campsites also have some nice circle rides.

Michigan Trail Riders Association crosses 4 or 5 times a year (May,
June, September, October).  They have a short ride (9 days--no layover
days), a long ride held the middle of June (14 days) and a couple 10 day
rides.  They do a doublecross at least once a year where they ride
across and turn around and go back (20 days).  You must be a member at
least 30 days before the ride to travel with this group (family
membership is only about $25 a year and open to all).  You sign up for
rides at least 5 days before the ride departure date (rides can fill so
you sign up earlier if you can).  Cost is about $6 per night and you can
do partial rides.  MTRA supplies a bus to jump camps.  You leave horse
and what you will carry with you on the horse in the first camp.  One
person moves the rig to the next camp (only one person per rig allowed
on the bus) and then rides the bus back to their horse.  I have crossed
alone and always had someone willing to keep an eye on my horse as well
as their own but it is nice when you travel with someone so one (or
more) can stay with the horses while the rig is moved to the next camp.
Even better is if you have a camp rat so you don't need the bus :o).
MTRA also has a chuck wagon that travels with them.  John always has
coffee available for those waiting in camp (and breakfast if you want
it).  He will be about the midpoint on the trail with hotdogs, hot soup,
and other treats usually about the time the first riders get there.  He
serves a good, filling supper in camp in the evening.  All meals from
the chuckwagon are paid for when you eat them.

Virginia Franklin's Shore to Shore group also does the full crossing
every year in June.  Virginia supplies a bus to jump camp.  There is no
chuck wagon so you are on your own for meals.  This is a nice family
oriented group and you must have a current member sponsor you to join.
Costs are about the same as MTRA.

I really like this trail and these are both great groups to ride with.
I would be glad to answer any other questions you have about them.

Donna Dochterman
Dokada Arabians
http://members.tripod.com/~DokadaArabians/