-----Original Message-----
From:	MOLLIE KRUMLAW
Sent:	Thursday, July 09, 1998 2:00 PM
To:	'Kristen L Olko'
Subject:	RE: Scratches

Scratches.....

I think I'm the queen of scratches remedies.  I have one horse that has repeatedly developed scratches overnight after a ride to the extent of being dead lame and bleeding from both front legs.  I have been pulled from several rides because they START and get worse during the ride!  I have a full room of "secret formulas" mixed by half of the Vets (and Pharmacists) East of the Mississippi, plus anything that's ever been published in EN or TB.  Have tried dry, tried soft/moist, all have worked to some extent but never really cure it. I've even had skin samples tested. I've accepted it as a part of my life.  I have however found a program that seems to keep it under control....

First I usually keep the hair on the very back of the pastern area shaved.  I always wash and dry it with a towel after every training ride, competition, or bath.  I then apply Panalog ointment over the effected areas and cover it with Bag Balm. Everyday I wipe the legs clean and re-apply until it is completely healed, then just use the Bag Balm to keep it moist.  I tried keeping it dry but kept getting bleeding cracks and noticed scar tissue developing under the effected areas from all of the sores.  I've started massaging this 4 or 5 times a week in hopes that I will get some elasticity back into the scared tissue. When I know I am going to a competition I'll put Panalog on the area for a few days before we leave. This has gotten me through the season so far.

If you are doing a competitive ride and are having soundness problems because of the scratches you can spit on them.  Yes, spit.  I know....this sounds a little out there....BUT...I was at a 3-Day CTR 100 a few years ago and had started to really get a bad case of scratches.  The same horse was pulled the year before at the same ride for the same problem. The group from Vermont told me to spit on the effected areas.  Very reluctantly, I did as told and low and behold 15 minutes later the horse was sound and finished the ride.

Good luck....my "friends" have given me a "hobby horse" named Scratches to keep just in case my horse goes lame at a ride!

Mollie
Mollie Ann Krumlaw
Finance & MIS Manager
Consolidated Metal Products, Inc.