RE: A LEG OR TWO UP (long)

Hi Karen.
My personal opinion and experience (both riding and rehab) regarding
soreness in riding (or anything for that matter) is very dependent on
efficiency.  If a rider is highly efficient the body does not have to work
so hard and thus less soreness.  However if the rider is inefficient, ie,
collapses to one side or is unsymmetrical, the body works harder and thus
is more susceptible to becoming sore (r) or lay claim to structural
problems.
As far as stretching goes, whereever in your body you feel sore you need to
direct your awareness to...why is it sore?  But in general:  adductor,
quad/hip flexor, calf, rotatore paraspinal muscles and glute/hams
stretches.  If you want more specific stretches, email me privately.
Another good suggestion is to GET A MASSAGE!  Being a massage therapist
myself, I think we overlook ourselves and what we are doing TO the horses
rather than just treating the horses thinking that it is their independent
problem.  Massage therapy is a great learning/awareness tool for the
recipient.
Last suggestion is to stregthen the muscles which are sore: back, abs,
quads, and hams.  Riding is a very isometric exercise that makes the
muscles work without having them move throughout their range of motion.
 (See massage) :-)
So, in summary to better the chance of NOT getting sore:
ride better, get a massage, stretch, and strengthen!
Ciao,
susie