Re: Cupped Soles

>  <<<even if their P1-P2-P3
> > line suggests another angle>>>
> It is the coffin bone that determines the hoof angle not the others.
Get
> your vet to show you some good comparative X-rays.
>

> I would be happy to discuss this more extensively if you are
interested.

> Bob Morris

I've no doubt you are right about the natural cupping of a foot, it's
what we see most. The original poster indicated that extreme cupping
was suggested (by the fact that the author suggested that the shoeing
technique should introduce cupping rather than utilitzing the natural
shape of the sole). Trimming like this would most likely make a horse
more prone to bruising. I think the original posters ferriers saw it
this way.

Yes I've read alot of discussion to and fro of differing theories,
including the natural hoof and how a horses foot lands (on a thread
mill), how it does on a rocky uneven trail is anyones guess. It all
comes down to theories. Fact is you have to start somewhere and work
from there towards what works for your horse. The only theory I'd seen
regarding reducing stone bruises was the one I presented, true or not,
who knows? Whatever the reason, the person who presented theory said
that prior to adopting the 56 degree angle he used to get on average 3
stone bruises a month out of his 30 horse rental stable (the fellow
was a ferrier, amonsgt other things), after adopting the 56 degree
trim angle he got 3 a year.

Interesting that the four point trim was developed from studies that
included measurements of hoof angles of feral horses, you are probably
aware of this. The majority of measurements turn out to be in the mid
50's, and if I recall correctly (darn you are going to make me look it
up aren't you?) the heels were pretty short or non-existent on most
horses. Good place for us to start then is in the mid 50's.

Up till now ferriers have been using the long and short pastern to
estimate the correct angle for the hoof. Perhaps the coffin bone is
what should be used, but I don't see many folks X-raying their horses.
==
Nicco Murphy - Poway, San Diego, CA