Re: Heart Rates/soundness

K S Swigart wrote:

> I used to think this until I realized that there are virtually no horses
> on the face of the planet who are "100% sound" if you define sound to
> mean, "has no (observable) gait irregularity."

That's absolutely true, and that's why the "lameness scale" gets successfull here
also. We mostly use a scale from L1-L4. L1 is minimal, L2 means disqualification
normally.

There's a saying here "every horse is lame, it depends on how careful one looks".
I think that's basically true. The first step is even to recognize subtle gait
irregularities. That's a big one, even for experienced vets. Then categorize
them, how much pain - if any - is expressed. Then, if the horse is back, look for
the reasons, if serious or not. The lameness degrees are to help the vets, to be
noted in the rider's card, and in case on a  L1, to tell the rider "Ride
carefully!".

I'm a ride manager of a small ride, not a vet. I always know how many "L1" are in
my race. So do my vets and the responsible person at each check. Of course it's
true, the horse is either fit to continue (sound) or not (lame). But in the state
to decide this, it's good to have some help tools. The lameness degress are an
important one.

When I talk to other people, I prefer the word "irregularities" instead of
"lameness" for the L1 and (sometimes ) L1-2, to clarify that "lame" or "unsound"
means "out".

regards
Frank (Germany)