loss of horse

This is a very strange situation.  I lost my 7yo reg paint mare 3 weeks
ago.  I still don't know why, but the vet thinks colic.  The whole thing
seems bizarre to me.  But I am writing Ridecamp for some possible info.
Is it possible for fly repellant to cause problems in a wound?  It was
Nature's Defense.  Does anyone have any experience with this?  I still
can't believe the whole thing has happened.  And that is just a part of the
bizarre things that happened.  Has anyone had a horse have an adverse
reaction to the sedative given by vet so a laceration could be sutured?
And has anyone had a horse react to the local injected around the wound?
This could get long so will keep it short and to the point.  I just can't
figure out what went wrong!  Mary Ann, Tx