Re: Heart size

Hey Kathy,
Just thought you might like this little story.  Our ride vet Otis Schmitt
told us about when he was a vet student at Auburn, and they had a top
secret visitor...Bold Ruler.  It seems Bold Ruler had a tumor, I believe
in his throat, and Auburn had the only facility handy that could treat it
with radiation.  Anyway ,the owners built him his own barn and paddock,
and put in a trailer for his long time groom to live in.  Otis' job was
to clean the x-ray room at night and he enjoyed checking the secret
x-rays to see how the tumor was shrinking.  Every night, the groom would
come into the vet building to shower and would visit with the students.
One night, one of the Auburn fellows had his little boy with him.  He
asked the groom if it would be O.K. if he took his picture on Bold
Ruler's back.  The groom said O.K., and they sat the little boy up and
took his picture.  After they took him off, the groom said, "I've been
with this horse for 27 (or something like that) years, and I know FOR A
FACT that that's the first person who has sat on his back since the
Triple Crown.

Now, when I post this  there will probably be a dozen people who can
correct me or prove it untrue.  But what a great story.  How would you
like to have THAT picture.   Ummmm, I think this is endurance related
because it mentions Auburn and Otis Schmitt.  :-)

Angie

On Mon, 29 Jun 1998 11:18:29 -0700 "Kathy Myers" <kathy@nvolve.com>
writes:
>"Secretariat's heart was estimated at 22 pounds."
>
>- <underline>Big Red of Meadow Stable</underline>
>

>In comparison, the average Thoroughbred heart [is]
>
>around 8 1/2 pounds.
>
>- <underline>The X Factor</underline>
>

>I suppose I should point out here that a large heart
>
>is not the same as an enlarged heart.  A large healthy
>
>efficient heart can move more blood per beat.  An
>
>enlarged heart is an unhealthy heart which works
>
>harder to move the same amount of blood as a normal
>
>heart.  Since heart is a muscle, an unhealthy heart
>
>trys to compensate by increasing in size with the
>
>decreased efficiency.
>

>Magnum comes from TB lines which carry this large
>
>heart down from Eclipse.  I suspect that's why he
>
>had such wonderful recoveries.  Of course I'm not
>
>about to find out for sure just yet.  ;-)
>

>I guess the question now is did Eclipse get it from
>
>an Arab line and if so which one?  He sire lines back
>
>to the Darley Arabian, but this trait is believed to
>
>be passed through the dam.  Thus the term "broodmare
>
>sire".  A non-scientifc paging through of the TB
>
>pedigree page loosely tracking broodmare sires back
>
>turned up an interesting horse by the name of
>
>"St. Victor's Barb" and the Goldolpin Arabian.
>

>:)  :)  :) - kat myers
>
>in San Mateo, Ca
>
>with Magnum the TB ex-racer "Little Matador"
>
>... loosely defined Princequillo x Nasrullah
>
>and Mr Maajistic

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]