Re: Heart Rates

On Thu, 25 Jun 1998, Wendy Milner wrote:

> I saw a mare fail her pre-ride check due to an extreamly high
> heart rate.  Seems she was in heat, and there was this very good

How many vets out there have ever failed a horse at a pre-ride check due
to an extremely high heart rate???

At the Mt. Charleston ride last month while the vet was trying to take
Windy's heart rate (Windy was very excited...'cuz that's just the way she
is), when the vet secretary asked for the HR number to put on the card he
said, "172" (he was being facetious, of course, but at the same time he
was also saying..."meaningless").

I have yet to meet any ride vet who does not consider a high pre-ride HR
to be totally meaningless, since it is almost always caused by some
external stimulous.

Any ride vets beg to differ?

kat
Orange County, Calif.