Re: Big bone vs small bone

In a message dated 98-06-26 01:07:10 EDT, niccolai_m@yahoo.com writes:

<< The
 dimensions you give indicate a circumferential measurment which would
 include tendons. It is possible that the increase in measurement is
 due to the strengthening by increase in tendon diameter rather than
 bone diameter. A better measure of bone size would be to use calipers
 to measure the width of the bone. >>

Yes, this measurement does include tendons, and likely has a contributory
factor from both increase mass of the soft tissues as well as increase in the
actual bone.  The calipers are a good idea--will have to wait for another
generation to grow up and go to work, I guess.  I DO think that the bone has
increased, though--it certainly looks different visually, and I have felt that
I have observed this in other older endurance horses, too.  Will take your
suggestion on the calipers, though, and start measuring my youngsters.

Heidi