Re: Big bone vs small bone

Here's my take on damage to horses in endurance. Most of the damage
I've seen (I've not been around a for very long -newbie) is old damage
from some previous sport. Many folk take up endurance riding with the
horse they have at hand and that horse may well have been off the
track, barrel racing, eventing, pony clubing, whatever. I recall a
fifty year old lady who'd never riden before taking her daughter's QH
on a 25 here after two months of riding (her daughter grew up and left
home). This is a typical story. Some long timers like Joe and Heidi
obviously breed for it and are one step ahead of the rest of us.

In general the sport is high on fatigue loading but low impact. As my
post stated I reckon track horses see 9 times the load in their legs
compared to endurance horses.

---Tivers@aol.com wrote:

> Good post, Nicco, and on the money. The first sign of porous, weak
bone we see
> in racehorses is splints. Are splints common in endurance? If not,
no worry.

> ti

==
Nicco Murphy - Poway, San Diego, CA