Re: Carbs -Water/comparison

Tivers@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 98-06-25 20:08:22 EDT, suendavid@worldnet.att.net writes:
>
> << Sounds to me that totally aside from the energetics question, plenty of
>  bulk is a good thing just from the hydration and gut motility point of
>  view---neither of which apply to racehorses, of course.
>
>  Susan Garlinghouse >>
>
> Aside from the energetics question, you could be right. But all the variables
> have to be factored in before a conclusion is reached, and the energetics are
> a primary concern--for the proper function of the whole animal.
>
> ti

I differ a little with you there, though I think we're probably saying
roughly the same thing.  My view is that having a good glucose supply
isn't going to help if the horse is colicking due to insufficient gut
fill---though I suppose you could just as easily argue that having good
gut sounds won't get you a buckle if the horse is too hypoglycemic to
keep going down the trail.

I tend to put energetics second in importance after maintaining
whole-body integrity (hydration, gut motility, etc)---but the two are so
closely related, I'm not sure you can really even separate them, so
probably a moot point.

Susan