marvelous creation

This is only marginally about endurance but it deals with the improbability of
the horse as we know it today.  This comes from an excellent book called "The
Nature of Horses."  It is not about training methods and doesn't deal with
anything but the scientific realities of the horse.  But when I read it I felt
such gratitude to our Creator that such an animal evolved for our pleasure.

Horses are not as efficient as ruminants (4 stomach chambers) in gleaning all
the available nutrition from what they eat but the ruminant must stop and chew
the cud for complete digestion.  That distinction means horses can eat and run
and also that they don't make the best meat producers.

Horses sweat as opposed to most other beasts of burden.