Drinking During Ride

<<< So is 25 miles of not drinking pretty standard or pretty bad news?  What's
one to do?>>>
Lori,
As  I'm sure you've heard by now in multiple posts, it is not at all unusual for endurance
horses to do their "I'm not thirsty" act  until they have covered at least 25 miles. I used to
fret a great deal over this, but finally gave it up since it never seemed to affect my mare's
hydration. She also will not drink when horses in front of her are leaving a stream...and
she is much more likely to drink out of a mud puddle than a pristine flowing stream
(darn!). But she will throw on the brakes and head for water when she is ready to drink.
I have recently found a way to increase her interest in drinking, and that is with Lyte
Now. I gave her one dose about midway through a training ride a month ago and was
astounded at the amount of water and frequency with which she began drinking. Now I
give EnduraLytes (2 oz up to three times preride) and 2 oz at each vet check, more if
heat/humidity is brutal, and again post-ride. I carry Lyte-Now in saddle pack for an extra
boost on long legs. (If you are giving the new EnduraMax formula, only  1 oz per dose
is needed.)

This is what works for my horse, learned through years of trial and error -- your horse
may benefit from a slightly different regimen. Hope this helps!

Bobbie and Fine Print in muggy Maryland