Re: Digestion of grain/carbos

On Wed, 24 Jun 1998 12:40:46 EDT, Tivers@aol.com wrote:

>Until you have actually attempted a better feeding protocol, please restrict
>your comments to the 30 year old literature. Otherwise, you'll inflame the
>very few innovators we have out there on the front lines. This thread began
>with a half a dozen of them sharing their clearly positive experiences with
>techniques that do not appear in the equine literature as of yet.

Endurance has had many innovators throughout the 20+ years I've been
involved with it, and still has today.  We are *always* searching for
new and better ways to do things ... not just nutrition, but training,
tack, ride strategy and pacing, health care, all aspects of good
horsemanship.  Ridecamp is one of the venues by which innovators share
their experiences.  That does *not* mean that no one should ever
dissent from someone's claims.

>By the way, I've spent a little time with endurance folks, been to a few
>endurance rides, a couple of ride and ties, touched a few of the creatures,
>helped haul a couple of exhausted ones away. I've helped design workout
>gameplans for several winners. I'm not completely out of touch with the sport.
>My living, though, is derived principally from racing. In comparing the two
>sports,  I find racing to be far more competitive, with far more innovation
>taking place. To a lesser degree, eventing is also more competitive and
>innovative.

How do you define "competitive?"  Money?  If you think endurance isn't
competitive you sure haven't been to the rides I have, or been around
the people that I have.

>That's not to say that there is no innovation in endurance--it's just that
>there are more folks interested in defending the past than looking toward the
>future.

You've said this kind of thing before.  There is a vast difference
between disagreeing with Tom Ivers and being unreceptive to
innovation.  A wise person learns from research and the *relevant*
experiences of others, tries what looks promising, keeps what works
and discards what doesn't -- for his own horse.

<rest snipped>

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net