Re: Canadian Border Crossing

In a message dated 98-06-24 08:07:22 EDT, kinter@zianet.com writes:

<<  But please don't say there is
 an outbreak when at this time there are 2 places on different sides of
 the state of NM with VS, and on place has already had there quarantine
 lifted and been cleared.
 Thank you,
 Gail >>

Gail, what the USDA and our state veterinary organizations consider to be an
"outbreak" and what the Canadian government considers to be an "outbreak" are
two entirely different things.  Your information is correct, but Myna is also
correct about how that is perceived by Agriculture Canada.  We ran into the
same problems with having horses coming to the Pan-American in Bend last year
from both Canada and from states with isolated cases of VS, as Canada made
rumblings about not letting the Canadian horses come home again, but we were
able to work it all out in advance, thanks to common sense and diplomacy on
the part of our foreign technical delegate, Dr. Jim Bryant from Canada and our
state vet, Dr. Andrew Clark.  We had to require our horses from Colorado to
have health certificates issued less than 24 hours prior to departure, and
they were re-examined for VS before being allowed into the barns here.
Because Canada is so sensitive about VS, it may require even more elaborate
means to get horses from those states into Canada.

Just thought someone should clarify the issue here.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Organizing Chairman, 1997 Pan-American, Bend, Oregon