Re: Carbs - only part of the picture

In a message dated 98-06-24 00:09:45 EDT, Tivers writes:

<<  All I can suggest is that you actually try using fast-acting carbs, just
once, to gain a new perspective. >>

Because there is such a vast difference in individuals, I'm sure that fast-
acting carbs have a place in those individuals who are NOT well-adapted to
bulking up and VFA metabolism.  They can help to make a horse do better at
something that was perhaps not the event for which he had the most aptitude.
No different than lots of extra LSD can recruit intermediate muscle fibers in
a QH and make him an adequate endurance athlete, even though that was not what
he was born to be, whereas his Arab counterpart gets to the same point in his
career in half the time...  I certainly recommend different feeding strategies
to those with horses who don't have the digestive ability to deliver the
energy by other means, but I am not about to change the regimen on a horse
that has loads of energy, can run competitively, stays "up" all ride, eats and
drinks everything offered, maintains his body weight, needs no electrolytes,
and has A's all day on his hydration and gut sounds.  We must all learn to
look at horses as individuals and adopt the right strategy for each horse.

Heidi