Thyroid Problems and Ride results

Hi, while riding today someone mentioned to me that the full sister to my
Lipizzan gelding had an extreme thyroid problem and has foundered (those are
all of the details I have received so......).  Well, not knowing a ton about
equine thyroid problems I asked around and was told that equine thyroid was
genetic, well after brain stopped spinning with all these new questions I
consulted my vet and was told that thyroidism is not genetic and that studies
have shown that horses may not even suffer from thyroid problems at all.  I
was relieved but called the vet that had diagnosed the mare with a thyroid
problem and he told me that it was a genetic problem and that I should have
blood work done.

My problem or situation is that I cannot find much about equine thyroid
problems and I'm also thinking that this couldn't be genetic or I would have
been told this when I bought my horse?  Also, I cannot see any signs of a
thyroid problem nor have I ever (yes he fat, but yes it's because he is a pig
but not a pig with a thyroid problem!)  My question is, have any of you dealt
with this situation or have any situations similar?  Thank you in advance!!!!!

Also, one last question.  My horse and I completed our first endurance ride in
May of this year.  I am not an AERC member but do receive Endurance News, but
my subscription has ended so I am unable to obtain the results from this ride
(Cinder Hills Endurance Ride in Flagstaff, Arizona).  I am one of those people
that has a little scrap book that has all of my horses achievements in it and
I was wondering if anyone might be able to fax me the page with my results on
it?  If you think you might be able to please contact me, thank you so very
much.

Again, I greatly appreciate your advice and information it is much
appreciated.

Sincerely,
Johnna Robb
Olympian06@aol.com