Re: Wounded Horse

Trish, you are on the right track with the bute for the inflammation and the
hosing with cold water.  For the swelling in the lower legs, I would advise
wrapping with a mix of DMSO and nitrofurazone ointment--I mix it about 50-50,
and the nitrofurazone keeps the DMSO from burning that way.  I would also
leave him out to move around rather than in a stall.  Also, sounds like he had
a pretty good struggle--I would suggest that you make an appointment with a
good equine chiropractor as soon as is practical.

Heidi Smith, DVM--Sagehill Arabians (Oregon)