High breathers?

Hi all,

general question for you . My mare is what somebody has called a "high
Breather". It is difficult to explain, but I will have a bash;
When we are cantering and she is straining (for example going up hill)
her breathing is very noticeable with nostrils flared and almost a
panting sound. Can someone explain why some horses do this and some
don't? She has not lost this even as her fitness increases. Her
recoveries are great , pulses really low and no thumps or anything. I
haven't seen any explanation of this anywhere , but have noticed many
endurance horses doing it( this is not grunting like some of the
showjumpers do)
Any ideas?
Regards,
Cindy Budler