ringbone

My QH mare suffered an acute injury (bumped a rock just right on a rock
strewn trail) 6 years ago on the right hind. Articular ringbone resulted and
has progressed though she has been 100% sound in that leg/foot. She was xrayed
last summer in that leg/foot (She was seeing the vet for something else, but
I was curious as to whether my 'diagnosis'
was correct and just 'how bad' it was.). The vet (an endurance rider/vet
herself) was amazed the horse was sound and never lame a day! The xray
was fascinating!

This QH has been doing endurance for 3 seasons. We did 25's the first 2 seasons.
We moved on to 50's in the third. We did 2 50's until a freak pasture accident
last August resulted in a pulled suspensory. She still is sound in that
right hind. She is also sound now in the suspensory so long as we do not
trot small circles to the left. ;-)

What started out as a half dollar-sized lump is now a large ring of
calcium around the pastern. I no longer need to point it out the the ride
vets. ;-) But, she is sound.  I never did a thing for the injury. Never gave
her Bute. She has not has any special shoeing. However, she has been on
MSM since last August at the vet's recommendation. BTW, the mare is 12 yo.

Ellen Osinski
Boise, Idaho
eko@boi.hp.com