Re: head rubbing

>> > How does one go about training their horse to not rub his head

>head on you, you say, "okay" (and point at  your butt:) so they know
>where
>to rub. :)

I agree with Kat. Though I don't point at my rump (it's pretty hard to
miss anyway) if I WANT to let him rub, I lean forward Kaboot knows where
he's allowed to rub, because it doesn't hurt me and he knows where he
wants scratched better than I do. He's also allowed to rub on my
shoulder. Scratching is only allowed when at a vet check or after remove
the bridle after a ride.  I don't allow rubbing in the P&R area, and he
has tried.  I would be curious as to whether his heart rate goes up from
excitement or down from relief when he does it.

I don't allow him to rub when I'm off jogging, (as if that happens very
often)  However, once my old horse Isaiah was trotting along behind me
and suddenly reached out and grabbed the hood on my sweatshirt and gave
it a yank. I turned to face him and he very politely tilted his head and
presented the very spot that was tormenting him.  Maybe it was a bad
thing to reinforce, but I just had to reward that much brain activity.

 I haven't had a problem getting shoved off of mountains, etc. like some
of you, making me think this is another one of the 100,000,001 ways to
manage to get killed on a horse.  I've known horses who were compulsive
"Shovers" which had nothing to do with rubbing.  They just like to put
their nose behind you and launch you.  That's not rubbing.

The best thing I've found are the knit gloves with the little rubber dots
on the palm.  Besides the fact that they sure help hold the reins with
less stress at the start of a ride, I can hook my thumbs together and put
my palms towards Kaboot and he will really give his forhead a good rub on
them, then it's around the ears and his favorite...all around the bit.

I have had a trench put in my back once from a buckel, but I've been hurt
by everything else to do with anything at least once too.  Around here we
call it "Equine Massage"  I turn my back, and my equine massages it.j

Angie and Kaboot

Or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]