Of ringbone and rollerbits

€ On ringbone: two years ago, radiographs revealed slight ringbone in my mare's RF
ankle. We ordered the pix after she was mysteriously lame at 38 miles on a 50-miler in
Wisconsin. She'd been intermittently grade 1 (the occasionally funky step) at vet-in for
years (never got any worse during the ride and frequently got better) which seemed to
account for the findings. The ringbone was not considered clinically significant, i.e., an
active process. I did do a course of Adequan and have kept her on joint therapy ever
since to make sure it didn't get worse, and so far it hasn't been a problem.  In addition, I
always make sure my horse is thoroughly warmed up before vetting in.

€ On the TTEAM rollerbit: I used the rollerbit years ago on Rushcreek Ingrid and it really
helped her balance going downhill. Recently I began using the same bit on Fine Print
after five years in a light hackamore.  After three sessions of ringwork and two trail
rides, I decided to start the Old Dominion in the bit. It made a *huge* difference. She
traveled in a more rounded and balanced frame than she ever has, and it saved wear and
tear on my arms and back, which weren't sore at all after the ride. At Pickett Springs, the
stop just before heading up Sherman's Gap at 82 miles, I thought it was "safe" to switch
back to the hackamore. She was quiet and calm heading up Sherman's, but when we hit
the road on the other side she stuck her nose out and was ready to take off!  Now I know
why Becky keeps Rio in the rollerbit for the whole 100 miles...

According to a recent article by Linda Tellington-Jones in her Team Up With Your Horse
newsletter, the rollerbit is especially effective for horses that are ewe-necked, heavy on
the forehand, strung out, fuss with the bit or have an uneven gait....the copper roller and
high port soften the horse's jaw, activating the hindquarters and creating much more
"swing" in the back.

I can't comment on the physics, but Linda has observed for the last 20 years that the
curved shanks do soften the poll more than a straight-shanked bit like a Pelham. Recent
research by Dr Joyce Harman has further shown that the key to bit comfort is tongue
release, which translates all the way to the shoulders (via tiny bones at the back of the
tongue called the hyoid bones, which attach to two major neck muscles) and can
contribute to a longer, freer stride. The TTEAM rollerbit fits the criteria of providing
tongue release.

Bobbie Lieberman and Fine Print -- who enjoyed playing with the roller all day and most
of the night Saturday