Hat Ranch non-sanctioned CTR

Hi all -

Wanted to thank whomever mentioned to me some time back to try a
non-sanctioned CTR for starting a young horse.  Boy were you right.
This is definately the way to start a horse out IMHO.  I wish we had
more  here in  AZ.

The Hat Ranch owned by Bazy Tankersley is in Williams AZ at
approximately 6-7,000 ft. amid pines, meadows (great Elk country) & of
course rocks (wouldn't be an AZ ride without rocks).  Jerry Hamiton ran
this ride & did a good job of marking the trail, supplying water stops &
hunting us down to notify us of changes in protocol (like riders meeting
at 7 am before you go out & there is food up at the ranch house.  Oh &
awards will be there too).  Loved the kick back feel of this ride.

Wind was high Fri. as we all camped & checked in but there was plenty of
space to camp in the protection of trees.

Sat. was beautiful, chilly in the am but warmed up fast.  We went out in
groups of 4 according to our numbers, at 2 min. intervals.  The ride was
timed at a 5 +/- mph pace 25 mi.  with 15 min. window before & after.
Speed was discouraged thankfully.  Some CTR riders felt this was a
little fast but as far as I know they didn't have any problem getting in
on time.  You of course could take longer if needed.

My mare started her education in group social graces.  We don't do
anything halfway either, got mixed in with some gaited horses beatin
feet behind, in fromt & same pace as us.  Actually did fairly well with
it.

The VC was about half way & a 30 min hold.  Hay, apples & water were on
hand for horses & riders.  This was so appreciated.

Met my goals of this ride which were:  1.  To ride within our training
level.  2.  Develop good habits in caring for my horse on the ride (like
offering water every time I find it, walk into VC, don't let other
rider's agenda include me, & don't give up on my training philosphy like
deciding to just let her go with whomever she decides she can't live
without).  3.  Finish within the alotted time if it was in line with how
we had been training.  4.  Listen to my horse not just my HR monitor or
my watch.

Having done these things, I was rewarded with a lovely belt buckle for
our weight class.

This is a 3 ride series, the next will be in July 30 mi. then Aug. with
a 2 day 25 each day.  I like this progression & look forward to July.

This ride is a keeper.

Lori , Sky & Packy
AZ