OD 50/Raffled horse

My version of the OD 50 was a SHORT one.  Sigh!  We were pulled at the
half way point at Fitchett's for a stone bruise.

At the same time, it was Rocket's BEST 50 to date.  He was calm and
listening to me at the start (and yes, we actually started with the
crowd).  He didn't become "inseparable pals" with any one horse.  He
trucked right along whenever the going was suitable, keeping a
respectable 8 mph pace overall.  (Doesn't sound so fast, but it was hot,
humid, and we found where they grow the rocks for the rest of the
country!)  He was calm coming into vet checks and needed minimal
sponging to come right down to parameters (set at a tough 60!).  (In
years past, he was fidgeting, screaming, bouncing about.)  His
metabolics were all good, with CRI's always dropping on the second
check.

I learned that my merino fleece seat saver is heavenly!  I DO need front
pads there (even though he has successfully completed this ride before
without them).  Iced sponge water is great for the rider as well as the
horse. (Brrrrrr!)  The water bladder fanny pack (camelbak you wear at
your waist) is much less irritating than the shoulder packs.  Driving
from place to place to crew is more work than it looks to the rider!!  I
appreciate my friends and husband all the more!

Does anyone know who won the little yearling gelding they raffled off?
He had such a sweet disposition and he looked as though he'd mature into
a gorgeous horse!

Linda Flemmer