Competitive Gaits

Hello Ridecampers
	A friend and I were having a discussion about the efficiency of particular
gaits.  I'd like to put the question to you out there who successfully
complete 100-milers or who win 100-milers (presently and in the past, for
you old-timers), since neither of us has done a 100-miler but we like to
condition with that in mind.
	Assume your horse is in fine shape.
	Let's say you're at an average endurance ride: some flat, some hills of
all sizes, but no extremes.  It's 50-70 degrees, low humidity, no rain,
etc.
	Let's say at every 10-mile interval for 100 miles you encounter a section
of trail that has perfect footing and is flat.  These sections lasts for
2-3 miles. This is your chance to make time.  If your choice of gaits were
a "flying" trot or a canter or a gallop, which would you choose and why?
	Hope this is clear.  Feel free to E mail me privately if you wish not to
make your opinions public.  We're just trying to learn from you guys.
	Thanks, Lori