Re: Carbos @ Californio 100

>I used carbos for the first time on the Californio 100 this past weekend.
>I acquired a jar of the GN Weight Gainer (vanilla flavor) thanks to my
>husband so I thought I would put it to use.  I measured (by weight) 2 oz
>into individual baggies as a dosage at each vet check.  My crew mixed it
>with water and applesauce and we started at the 18 mile vet check

Congratulations, Marci!!!  Did you like the ride?  Did you find that the
mix got too thick?  I have been leaving out the applesauce, and mixing up
all the syringes the night before.  If I mix them to a certain consistency,
they don't set up and get too thick the next day.  I also keep a pre-mixed
tupperware tub of it ready made in the cooler so I can just suck up a new
dose (with the syringe) when I'm in camp.  Did you give any carbos after
the ride?  Did you notice an improvement in after-ride recovery?

I found the neatest little baggies...they are sized to fit the syringes in
perfectly....I think they are 'long' sized sandwich baggies.  That way if
the syringe leak, it doesn't get all over the saddle pack. I can fit three
syringes in each baggie.

>March, although he has been in training since then.  My training consists
>of a ride of 20 to 30 miles on weekends and maybe a short ride of 5 to 10
>miles during the week (after work).  (I can never be accused of over-riding
>my horses.)

Ha! Same here...if I told you what conditioning I've done with mine lately,
half the people on ridecamp would probably faint <vbg>.  Let's just say
that I've been cheating and using 50's as conditioning rides <gasp>....btw,
I would NEVER have done this if they didn't each have a 3 or 4 year base on
them, and full turnout.

btw, farrier checked Weav's foot...it's NOT bruised anywhere...and I'm
supposed to STOP soaking the foot in epsom salts...it's only keeping the
heel moist and soft - dah!!  Horse is sound on pavement :=)....but heel is
sore and hopefully I can keep it from cracking as the mud dries (will it
ever stop raining?)

>leave and then gave the carbos.  I changed to this strategy since he didn't
>seem to want to eat right after receiving the carbos.  Perhaps it was a
>strange taste, who knows!

I change my strategy around a lot too.  I always give the electrolytes
first (if I am giving them then...I don't give them as often as the
carbos)...then the carbos.  That seems to help it go down better.  I think
they like the taste of the carbos after awhile (sweet).  At first my horse
would pout something terrible.  Now he deals with it better, after figuring
out on a couple of 100's that he's getting the doses every 2 hours whether
he likes it or not!

>horses started the ride and 14 finished.  Even though I was last I felt a
>real since of victory since my horse looked so great at the finish.  I will
>always be a firm believer in "To Finish is To Win".

That's terrific!!!!  To finish with a horse that looks good is even better
:).  Congratulations again.

Happy Trails,

Karen
in Gardnerville