Re: Newcomers

grs@theneteffect.com writes:

<< need more
 basic info than nutrition advice and how to ride with a HRM >>

I honestly did not mean to pick on you.  I tend to have a sarcastic sense of
humor that gets me in trouble.  However, this is exactly my point.  Why does a
newcomer have to know how to ride with a heart monitor and know more than
basic nutrition?  I pulled Scarlett once at 40 miles at the Diablo ride
because her pulse was not "going down and staying down."  She recovered at
about her usual speed but her pulse was up a few beats and then down a few
beats.  In retrospect, I think it may have been the heart monitor I paid too
much attention to.  She was probably just fine.  However, it never does hurt
the horse to pull with no reason but it can hurt not to pull if you are
unsure.  Another thing that is learned with experience.  I have had vets tell
me my horse was tired when he wasn't and I knew it.  I have also had my horse
pass a vet check when I knew he just wasn't right.  You need to know these
things first.....Maryben