Re: Comments by Donna Snyder-Smith

Yeah Donna!

I haven't been paying attention to the thread here, but thought I'd pass
along my view on limited distance.

I have participated in limited distance for the past 3 years.  I have two
children, 10 and 11 that I have brought along to share my trail experience.
 We as a family have completed at least a dozen rides, and this year are
equipped to do a fifty weather permitting!  But without the opportunity to
do 25 miles, I would have been either forced to choose between riding or
spending weekends with my family. It has been much more fulfilling to see
my daughter take BC on her pony and my son complete a 30 mile ride on his
26 year old, than any top ten award.  And, I'll challenge any seasoned
rider to do 25 miles with two juniors and see if they feel like the ride
was not challenging enough.  That's three horses to prepare, and three
saddles off at lunch vet.  You do the math.

One of the most attractive and rewarding aspects of Endurance is
the motto "To Finish to Win".  I can race against myself, and not be
embarrassed to come in last, (did that on 1996 Castle Rock, but I finished
and my horse had no metabolic problems from the heat). There is no pressure
for me to top 10 and the fitness of me and my mount can be the priority.
One does not need to be a professional rider to enjoy and be a part of
endurance.  I think our society has encouraged this type of behaviour, you
don't see entries being denied to the Bay To Breakers if one has not
qualified as a long distance runner.  The physical fitness revolution has
brought us the opportunity to be a part of sports and activities that we
wouldn't have thought of 30 years ago.  In the end mankind benefits, with a
stronger healthier race. Although I can see this may be threatening to the
elitest, you know the middle of the road back yard bred rider giving them a
run for their money...

Thanks for Limited Distance, and the opportunity to be part of this sport.

Connie DeJong
Greyridge Lodge, Barn and Breakfast
Santa Cruz Mountanis