suspensory injury

Hi Allyn,
I am just now catching up, kinda, on ridecamp and saw your post. I had one
with this injury few years back. It was a high tear so there was no heat or
swelling, and could not be palpated as it was under the splint bone, just a 3
degree lameness at the trot. I had it ultra sounded immediately so I would
know for sure what I was dealing with. So, with the early diagnosis and proper
treatment, we have had a nice healing. I kept my mare barefoot. She had 7
weeks of stall rest with hand walking beginning after 2 weeks. Another
ultrasound at 7 weeks showed the tear had healed and at this time she was
allowed full turnout with controlled exercise. Even though the the tear had
healed, she was still a long way from full recovery. This period of
increasingly demanding controlled exercise lasted about one year but the
injury has healed nicely. So, in my case, my horse did go barefoot and stall
rest only lasted 7 weeks. I think it is a good idea to get the ultrasound,
then you will know how to proceed.
Good luck to you and your mare.
Donna in Altoona