Question on pads

During one of my horse's shoeings today I got into a discussion with the
farrier about what were his likes and dislikes about shoeing systems that
reduce concussion.  He likes the combination of a honeycomb pad and
titanium/aluminum shoes.  He demonstrated the difference in vibration
between the two when you strike them against the anvil and let them
vibrate.  It was very impressive to me who has been doing mostly arena work
for the 4-5 years (my dressage years ;-)) and having consistent, soft
footing that absorbed the energy.  He used rocks and gravel as a similarity
to tapping the shoe on the anvil.

He likes the honeycomb pad but doesn't like shoeing horses with it that
will be going out on the trails or out in the pasture here in the NW...says
it's too hard to keep the constant moisture from creating havoc with the
soles...and it's impossible to keep them dry.  What he would like to see
would be a honeycomb *rim* pad.  Also says that he has a tough time buying
honeycomb pads for the price and then cutting them up.  Does anyone know if
there IS such a rim pad...or what might be equivalent in the shock
absorption department?  What have you had the best success with?  Where can
we find them?

As usual, my schedule has put me behind in reading the digests (and don't
want to skip any because I find so much good info that I'm afraid I'll miss
something ;-) -- and I'm up to only 5 days behind instead of 2 weeks) so
please email me personally or I won't see the info for a while.  TIA

Sue
sbrown@wamedes.com
Tyee Farm
Marysville, Wa.