Re: Human foot problem

Carol Barrett wrote:

> I hope someone out there has knowledge of podiatry (human, not horse). For
> the last year, I have had problems with the "ball" of my foot while riding.
> After about ten minutes, it starts to ache, then burn, then my outer toes
> go numb.

Carol,

I can't tell you what happens physiologically like a podiatrist might, but I
can share with you my understanding and experiences.

I experienced the same thing, and still do to a small extent.  I found that it
was most prevalent when we walked or I 2-pointed at the trot (ie "stood" to the
trot) for extended distances.  My orthopedic surgeon said it was a combination
of pressure on a nerve, on a blood vessel, and inflammation of the flat tendon
that runs under your entire foot (plantar fascia).  I tried several things that
in combination seemed to help.  YMMV!

1)  I change gaits frequently to get me to shift how I bore weight into the
stirrup.

2)  I had another good rider critique my centered riding to prevent me from
swinging my feet out in front of me and "bracing".  I do this if I start to get
tired or my knees ache :-(

3)  I tried a variety of stirrups  & found that I got the most relief for my
knees and feet with the Trail Tech stirrups.  They are shock absorbing.  The
leathers go under the top of the stirrup and the rubber donut compresses as
weight goes into the stirrups.  It felt like the stirrups were "running away
from me" at first, but I got used to it after a couple of weeks.  I also got
the stirrup pads that Teddy Lancaster sold - very cushy!  This stirrup works
best at the trot & canter where there is more opportunity to absorb shock.
(BTW, wider "platform" stirrups seem to be much better than narrow ones.)

4)  When walking, I take my feet out of the stirrups and do toe twirls, wiggle
my toes, stretch my aching knees out...  It helps.

5)  I worked on loosening my lower body while riding (long & centered) so that
I would bring my entire leg into supporting my body.

6)  If my knees or feet are being persistently achy, I'll get off and walk or
tail a bit or find a spot to let Rocket hand graze a moment while I "unwind".

7)  I got <comfortable> shoes that were wide enough for my feet.  I had to
allow for some foot swelling...  It felt too wide when I tried them on, but was
pretty good after a couple hours of riding.  I put Ariat gel foot beds in the
shoes to help relieve a little pressure, too.  They're <heavenly> and about the
only thing of Ariat's that works for me.  (They're shoe lasts are all to narrow
for me.)

I hope that this helps!  The problem is always lurking, but I "manage" it.  I'd
love to hear from anybody that has any more suggestions!!

Linda Flemmer