easy boots and forging horses

I would be very careful about using easy boots on horses with a history of
knocking front shoes off.  I have had my horse catch the buckle on a back
boot on his front heel caused a major cut.  The first ride this season he
knocked a shoe off 9 miles out.  I put on my easy boot and finished the
ride.  About 5 miles from the end he hit the easy boot, the prongs gouged
hunks out of the hoof, and the sole of the easy boot ripped about an inch.
We did finish sound.  The boot is history.
By the way, a couple of degrees more front angle, and a little rear toe
squaring and he hasn't hit in 100 miles of training and the last race.  I
also have him in bell boots to protect his heels, even though he only seems
to hit the shoe not the heels!
We do use boots in the winter with ice studs to good effect, but find that
we don't dare extend a trot.  This is OK since we mostly walk in deep snow
for condition until most of the ice goes.
Ed and Wendy Hauser
Sisu Farm
1140 37th St.
Hudson, WI 54016