HELP S.African 100 miler (long)

Hi there all !

In South Africa  endurance riding`s governing body is E.R.A.S.A (Endurance
riding association of South Africa) Unfortunately not much emphasis is
placed on 100 milers and so far National Colours or achievement awards are
not been handed out !! SOUNDS BAD !!

The highlight of the endurance riders season is Nationals which is held in a
small town called Fauresmith . This is an annual event which draws most of
the endurance riders .
Last year there were 256 entries a record , 204 horses eventually started
the race and of these 145 horses completed the entire course (125 miles).
The unusually hot weather made the ride much more difficult than usual .
Horse representation Pure Arabian 94
                                      Part Arabian 45
                                      Anglo             22
                                     "Crossbred " 36
                                       Appaloosa    3
                                       Basuthu         1
                                       Boerperd       1
                                       American Saddler    1
The winning horse pure a pure Arab gelding Rakib Sjah completed the 125miles
over three days in 7hrs 55min 54.24 sec that is an average speed of 15.78
mph.
We have a lot of rules for the 50 mile rides and ERASA wants to limit or try
and reduce the no of entries at Fauresmith annually and I personally think
this is appalling as they are not letting the sport grow but keeping it
amongst themselves.
To qualify for Fauresmith a rider and horse combination has to complete
3x50mile rides within a certain time frain .(National qualifying time)

50 mile courses are graded according to data acquired from rides and given a
handicap . If a rider completes three 50 mile rides in National qualifying
time he or she is put on a short list for selection of the team , there is
also a lot of other criteria which is considered.
A springbok qualifying time is an average speed of 14.375 mph over the 50
mile course.  This year 48x50 milers are on the program and 7x100 milers and
1 x27 miler and speaking under correction a 300 miler over 4 days is held on
alternative years
to the 127 miler.
The course handicaps vary from   -4.79 Louwna     to Bare Acres 8.19
A springbok qualifying time for the Louwna 50 miles is 2hrs54min53sec
A springbok qualifying time for the Bare Acres 50 miles in 5hrs32min12sec
Bare Acres is the name of the farm I stay on and is hosted by me.

The handicaps of the 100 milers vary from 4.93 Bloemfontein to 12.07
Hogsback

A springbok qualifying time for the Bloemfontein100 miler is 8hrs51min16 sec
A springbok qualifying time for the Hogsback 100 miler is 15hrs35min40sec.
The Hogsback 100 miler is hosted By Rob Dobrowsky of Arikara Appaloosa`s and
I help him where I can . The ride has only taken place twice and we hope it
will grow  to be very well supported ride because it is extremely
challenging!! I have ridden it both times and thoroughly enjoyed it.

All this info which is very much condensed is to give you and insight and
understanding so that you can understand the attached file which is a
proposal which must still be discussed and amended and will be handed to
ERASA.
This attachment is not nearly final and PLEASE ANY HELP AND SUGGESTION ARE
GREATLY APPRECIATED.

IF any one has the FEI rules regarding 100 milers I would greatly appreciate
a copy , if available.

We are a limited no of riders who enjoy 100 milers and believe that our
horses should be looked after and still be going well when they retire . As
far as I am concerned much of the riding in South Africa is like a RATRACE
and the horses dont last very long .

Are your courses graded ?
How does National or Provincial selection take place in the States ?
I have been reading in the Arabian Horseworld March 1988 ,regarding Tevis
cup results a see that this must obviously be quite a tough ride!

Imagine how lovely it would be if South Africa rode a 100 miler on the same
day as the Tevis and Quilty and all three countries competed against each
other (Something like the Tri Nations Rugby) Just an Idea !!!!!

In anticipation thank you for all the responses.

Greg Miles
El Barec Arabians

This is the temporary proposal that is going to be put forward to ERASA.
Robert Lord is in charge of this .

A National ride for 100 milers and a honorary colour system is proposed for
the following reasons.

1.    To promote competition by having a National ride for 100 milers.

2.    Honour riders for achievements on a point's system.

3.    To promote and encourage riders to the eventual entry to International
competition.

4.    To provide for  horses that are good distance horses and may not be
speed horses.

5.    To provide for riders who are not interested in Fauriesmith who may be
interested in 100 milers.

6.    100 Miler program could spread out more evenly throughout the season.

7.    To introduce and promote the International rules.

MOTIVATION
1.    A National ride for 100 milers will boost 100 milers in as much as not
all the emphasis will be on Fauresmith.  This might relieve the pressure
from Faresmith from riders who enter just for the sake of using the national
ride as an experience.

2.    If riders are honoured for achievements on a points system, it would
promote ongoing continuity and boost 100 milers, as well as providing an
equal opportunity for all to earn points to qualify for honoury colours.

3.    Not all horses and riders are suited to Fauresmith and as a result we
could attract more riders to our sport if we have a suitable alternative.

4.    National 100 milers will encourage and prepare riders for
International competition in a more professional way.

5.    Nationals held on a rotational basis or at (split venues / graded
courses), will give equal opportunity to all.

6.    Ride dates spread evenly throughout the season will offer more
opportunity for more support and more points to accumulate.

FUTURE IDEAS AND SUGGESTIONS
1.    As far as International competition is concerned, it seems to be too
costly and impractical.  We can strive for competition on the basis of
graded courses world wide and compete int he same way as the show jumpers do
I.e.: each course to have its own handicap and riders ride in their own
country.  This system (split  venue) can  and should be tried out is South
Africa  e.g.:  The 100 miler in Hofmeyer is held on the same day, as for
instance, Alma.  Both courses are graded according to the handicap system.
The riders in the North could ride at Alma and the riders in the South could
ride at Hofmeyer.  Both rides could be regarded as the national ride.  The
results could be pooled and an overall winner could be determined (this ride
must take place on the same day).  Each ride would need officials (judges)
to convene the ride and to check that all standards are the same (except
weather), (good practice for future International judges).
This idea could spill over to Namibia, Botswana, etc. in the future.

2.    Another  way would be to have spare horses, and invite International
riders to compete in our own country.  Horses would be leased from riders.
The technicalities of leasing horses would have to be sorted out if the ride
took on International status.
This idea could be developed further if ERASA or a private individual owned
horses and had the horses trained for the specific purpose of getting
international competition going. This would be costly.  Alternately the top
10-15 horses pooled for all riders to draw from.

3.    Rules to be applied to 100 milers should all be the same, be it FEI or
ERASA.  The gradual introduction to FEI would probably be the best for the
short term.
I propose that the 5 gate system be brought in to all 100 milers to replace
the running stops.  It worked well in Bloemfontein, and I think the horses
performed better.  This will be the first step to FEI and will also
standardize the time keeping format.
The vet criteria should be sorted out by the chief vet and other vets
familiar to 100 milers  (FEI or ERASA or combined.?)

4.    Horses should not have to do 3 x 80 kilometer rides to enter in 100
miler - horses automatically fall out at the check points  -  our vets are
good enough to disqualify horses that are not up to standard.  Not all 100
miler riders take part in 80 km rides and not all riders can do 3 x 80 kms
in a season before entering for a 100 miler.
Rule 2.2.8 should be amended for Fauresmith Nationals only.

THE POINTS SYSTEM
A lot more work and thought must be done on this system especially if we
could get as much info off the date base a possible.
I think it would be best to approve of nationals and the colour system in
principal and then this points system could be finalized.
The feedback from many riders is that colours must be awarded for
consistency and very definitely not on a once off system.

Points to be awarded according to the International way I.e. 1st in a field
of more than 20 riders earns 20 points and one point less for the next etc.,
irrespective of time ridden.
If the field is only 12 strong the 1st place will be awarded 12 points
decreasing by one point to the 12th place.
Points should also be awarded for speed as well  e.g. 10 points for riding
at the correct speed and one point more per kilometer faster than the
corrected speed and one point less per kilometer less than the corrected
speed.
Weight points to be gained as in rule 2.2.20.10.4

Bonus points for riders finishing the ride within and faster than the
handicap for the course should be awarded (same as point 2.2.20.10-10.2)
e.g. 24 points per 1 kilometer faster than the course handicap and pro ratio
per fraction thereof e.g. 23.6 kilometer/hour corrected speed would be 23.6
points and 24.3 would be 24.3 points.
Weight points to be awarded only if rider qualifies for the handicap speed,
same as point 2.2.20.10.4 in rule book I.e. Rides weight divided by 10 e.g.
85/10 =8.5 points.
After accumulation of points totaling 150 on the same horse and rider in a
time span of two consecutive years, should honorary colours be awarded to
the rider and the horse be given an award.  When the third year commences
the first years point will fall away, which will then be the start of the
second consecutive year.  As soon as the rider has accumulated enough
points, he/she may be awarded honorary colours,
e.g. a win =20 points +24 corrected speed + 8.5 weight = 52.5 points x 3
rides = 157.7 points.