Re: horses in trouble at vet checks

I wonder if it would be safe to say that in the central and SE regions
esp. , there is more opportunity for a horse to quickly get into serious
metabolic trouble with our heat/humidity than in some other locations
that are drier and/or cooler.  So someone from the western part of the
nation might not be aware of these factors.  A good, experienced P&R
person (such as Bo Parrish) willl pick up on more subtle signs than
others - but all in all, I think we're more accustomed to _looking and
waiting_ for these signs when we're doing P&Rs.

This could be a gross generalization, but when I ride out of my area, in
the SW for instance, I am aware of much less metabolic distress in the
horses overal, as compared to my own central region.  One of the reasons
we're so intent on fairly heavy electrolyting.

Anita Burson