[Fwd: Crash Test-long]

-- BEGIN included message

Field, Shannon wrote:
The most recent incident involved two dogs
running full speed at my riding partner and I as we were doing one of
our regular rides on public land.  The owner did nothing but yell,
"They'll only bark!"
 Wondering what others have done to avert potentially
disastrous situations with dogs and their irresponsible owners.
Shannon,

We took the slef-initiative to desensitized our horses to dogs rather than rely on dog owners - the horses barely move an eyelash now when dogs come running out.  Part of it is staying calm, relaxed in the saddle so that they don't pick up your nervousness.  We keep on going (no stops, turns to see the dogs, etc.)  We don't make a big deal about the dogs.  We emphasize some dressage moves to keep their mind on the work.  If the dog is exceptionally obnoxious (there is ALWAYS one) we "grumble" at them (In gruff voice - Go on - get outta here!!).

We asked friends to bring their hunting dogs out with us on rides so that they get used to the dogs popping out of the brush all of the time.  Their final exam was riding w/ the local fox hunt.  If they can handle the hounds running under them at the trot & all the baying, they can handle anything.

We have lots of "protective" dogs who guard their territory on our training loops.  We learn to tolerate each other.  Here where we lived, most dogs run free - no owners to rein them in.  (and I DON'T advocate this type of dog ownership)  My big fear is being run down by a vehicle on a curve on some dirt back road.  (No posted speed limits - ave 50 mph)  We've had several near misses!  We tend to listen for cars on the dirt or gravel & I'm always alert for where we can move to in an emergency.

Linda Flemmer

-- END included message