Re: AERC Bylaws Suggestions

On Thu, 21 May 1998 08:23:47 -0700, Ramey Peticolas-Stroud
<ramey@wvi.com> wrote:

>Thanks for the thoughts re Internet Board meetings.  Most Board members
>agree that face-toface debate is best.  The problem is the Board only
>meets twice a year but the national and regional issues that come up are
>constant.  If we have to have a  conference call, the cost is in excess
>of $1,000 (obviously these are not routine).  The only other alternative
>is voting by mail, and again, the "personal touch is lost,"  but it
>takes less staff time, costs less and is much faster.

I'm glad to hear there is no plan to replace the live mid-year Board
meeting with another method.  And any use of the Internet for Board
activities needs to carefully consider whether all of the Board
members have adequate Internet access.

If the Internet is used for addressing time-sensitive issues between
meetings, there are some other considerations.  "Chat room" meetings
are rather dependent on the typing skills of the participants; a
hunt&peck typist is at a real disadvantage in being "heard."  A mail
list would IMO allow more thorough participation, while still allowing
speedier and lower-cost resolution than snail mail.

Board meetings are supposed to be open to the membership, though; how
will this be provided for in either a chat room or mail list?  One way
would be to "mirror" the chat room or mail list to the website, where
anyone who wished could follow the discussion.  I highly recommend
doing this.

BTW, such arrangments do not require bylaws changes.  Other than the
requirement for an annual meeting, the time, location, and method of
meetings is at the discretion of the Board.

--

Joe Long
jlong@mti.net